Thursday, October 18, 2007

Last Day



I really wish I could stay longer... but it's 12:30 AM, and I have five hours until my ride takes me to the airport. I'm not packed, I have a full 24 hours of traveling in front of me, and I haven't slept. It's going to be a long day.

This morning I went to the Jumeirah Mosque.


It's the only mosque in the area that non-Muslims are allowed to enter. A few times a week, they have an educational tour and question-and-answer session.


Everyone had to take off their shoes before entering the mosque. Women had to have their heads covered. If they didn't bring something, they were given a scarf. The scarves also had to cover their upper arms. Men in shorts were given a long robe to wear.



A few hundred people were there for the tour. It was interesting. The two men explained the pillars of Islam, how they prayed, their customs, and their beliefs. And they were funny! When someone asked how many wives they were allowed to have, one of them answered, "We are allowed to have four. But many people don't have that many. They cannot handle more than one mother-in-law."

Next, I went to a nearby beach. When I went to the beach yesterday, I got there too late for swimming, and I wanted to give it a try.

Forget about everything else you've seen on this blog... it's worth visiting Dubai just for the beaches.


The water was unbelievable. It's the clearest blue-green water you can imagine. And it's surprisingly WARM! Very relaxing. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the Jersey Shore and Edgewater Beach, but this was mind-blowing.



You can clearly see right to the bottom. This is the view when the water was nearly up to my neck!


Then it was time to break out the kites again. Here's "Scuba Steve" flying over the tallest building in the world...


...And the 4-line "Revolution" kite (which requires two hands), while I took a picture. This was difficult:


Lunch was at a soothing outdoor cafe with burning incense filling the air. My German friends from Tuesday recommended it.


Here's my delicious chicken and mango chutney sandwich, with some tasty fresh-squeezed lemonade:


Later in the evening, I decided I'd go for a walk and explore. I left the hotel at 6 PM and had no idea where I was going. I figured I'd walk until I got tired, then take a cab back. I ended up walking for three hours.

I passed through the "textile souk", which was shop after shop of every kind of fabric.


Here's a tiny shoe store...


A busy hair salon...


And, some new ideas about my next job.


Finally, after three hours, I figured it was time to head back. I was just about to hail a taxi... when I realized that I was back at the hotel! It a block away. I have no idea how I did that. I'm just happy I noticed it before telling the a driver to take me there.

That's all for now... only four hours until I head to the airport. I'll post one more entry after returning home and getting some sleep!

Bonus random picture that didn't fit anywhere else:

6 comments:

geiger said...

so if you were flying the two handed kite, and taking a photo, who is flying scuba steve? they are both in the air at the same time!!

Anonymous said...

Dave, it sounds like it was an awesome vacation. If the corn in a cup franchise doesn't work out, I think you could be one of those travel show hosts. If you would have asked, I would have kicked in a few bucks to extend your vacation, just to keep reading these blogs. Thanks for making us part of your trip.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have withdrawl from reading your blog every morning. I know I get to see YOU every morning, but somehow, reading about you is much more interesting. Thanks for taking the time to update us daily. Have a safe trip home.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I'm going through Blog withdrawl right now. Don't break my snowglobe!

SuziTurc said...

I'm so sad to see you go! We've had our first taste of corn in a cup and we're hooked! Hey Fox people...write him into the shows so the advertisers can start supporting his trips and this blog! It'll be a never-ending supply of corn!!

Unknown said...

Dave, Was that your foot in the water or a dead fish?