Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Relaxing Day Of Extremes


That picture's for you, Scott Sabol.

I didn't do anything educational or cultural today. I spent the day doing two things that I can do back home.. but not on the same day.

I went skiing and kite flying.

I wasn't going to do "Ski Dubai", but since the poll was overwhelming, I headed there this morning. The cab ride was extra-exciting. The drivers here are crazy, and I thought I was going to be in at least one accident during every taxi ride I've had so far. But this time, someone swerved near us, laid on the horn, and sped off. My driver sped up and started tailing him. Just when I thought we were going to be in some sort of Middle Eastern road rage incident, the car spoke. A woman's voice calmly said, "The car is now speeding. Please slow down." My driver did.

Ski Dubai is AWESOME. You really can't see how large it is until you're inside.


It cost 170 dirhams (about 47 bucks) to ski for two hours. That price includes the rental of a jacket, snow pants, boots, skis, and poles.. plus a pair of socks for you to keep.

And I made it all look good.


During the two hours, I only fell twice. And one of them was a graceful, slow-speed fall. The other one was face-first.

Here's the bottom of the slope. All of those windows lead to restaurants and shops in the mall where people are watching.


In addition to the slopes, there's also a snow park. Parents were pulling their kids along on inner-tubes.



A few hours later, I was on the beach... Jumeirah Beach. I paid 5 dirhams, or about $1.38, to get in. When I packed for the trip, I brought two big kites.. which is why I needed two suitcases. The scuba diver drew a lot of attention.


I was actually standing in the Persian Gulf, flying kites, as the sun went down. It was perfect.


I'm really going to miss this place.
Tomorrow's my last full day here!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh....skiing in a Burqa....there's nothing like it.

Anonymous said...

You need to drink some vinegar.. it'll make the flight home go better.

Chris Gibilisco said...

Crazy Dubai taxi drivers..."you can count on it."

geiger said...

when you were flying your kite, was there a women's rugby team practicing in the mud?? if not, how could dubai be better than edgewater park???

Unknown said...

When you were flying your kite were there air raid sirens going off, also do they give ski lessons or are you just on your own?

SuziTurc said...

Ok Dave...have to ask...who are you asking to take all these pictures of yourself? Actually, how are you asking them? And what must they thinking of you being there all by yourself...flying kites...eating corn in a cup... What are we thinking of you being there all by yourself...flying kites...eating corn in a cup...
Well...we love ya and we're used to you!

Scott Sabol said...

Thanks for the shout out and the t-shirt pic. My day is now complete.

I linked your blog to mine so that the ENTIRE world will be able to enjoy the last day of your mid-east exploits.

Also, did that guy try to rip your heart out of your chest after the picture was taken?

umbriacsbar@gmail.com said...

MOM SAID...
I COULD REALLY MYSELF FOR NOT GOING WITH YOU.
NEXT TIME!

Anonymous said...

wow, now I know what happened to Franco Harris. Driving a cab in Dubai.