Sunday, October 14, 2007

Chilling Out

Today I did part two of "The Big Bus Tour." I only did half of it yesterday because the heat was getting to me. The whole tour takes about 5 hours, and that doesn't count the time you spend at any of the stops when you hop off.

Everywhere you look here, you see amazing architecture and a lot of construction.





Here's Jumeirah Beach, a public beach that's very popular:


It's right next to the Burj Al Arab, which is THE landmark of Dubai. It calls itself the world's only 7-star hotel, and it's ridiculously expensive. I'll post more about it later, but here are a few pics:


Note the heliport at the top. You may have seen the pictures of Andre Agassi and Roger Federer playing tennis up there...

Or Tiger Woods teeing off from the same spot. Crazy.

I stopped at another mall, the Deira City Centre, which is the busiest mall in Dubai. It was packed.


It's more down-to-earth than the Mall of the Emirates. I noticed a lot more women here wearing Burqas, with only a slit for their eyes.

When you take a closer look at them, you realize the burqas are not all black... most of them have subtle designs, or patterns of beads.. little bits of individuality...

One store had key chains with a horoscope for each birthday. I laughed when I saw mine:


I got back on the bus and stopped at one of the places I really wanted to see - the recently-opened "Chill Out" bar.

I cannot explain how amazing this place is. After you pay about 17 bucks, they give you a parka, gloves, and insulated shoes. Then, basically, you walk into a freezer. The entire bar is made out of ice. Everything is ice - the tables, the chairs, the 7-foot high chandelier... everything. I took a lot of pictures, but they don't do it justice. (Click on any picture on this site for a larger version.)









The ice is made by a special process that makes it crystal-clear.


Look closely... that last one's a camel sculpture.

I'm going to try to post a couple of videos. Hit "play."




Anyway, your 17 bucks also includes one drink.

Picking up my glass made of ice...

Cheers!

Unfortunately, this being the UAE, that drink is non-alcoholic. Still, it was tasty.
The temperature in the bar is 21 degrees Fahrenheit, so you don't want to stay long. They do serve food, though. After I left, I went to a coffee shop and ordered a hot chocolate. And yesterday I thought I was going to pass out from the heat!

One last note- on the way back to the hotel, I passed a movie theater. I went inside to see what was playing, but the only thing about to start was Daddy Day Camp! Before leaving, I took a look at the concession area- and guess what they had? More corn in a cup! It was delicious.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, Your pictures are great. I enjoy looking at your blog every morning. Doesn't Fox8 seem like a galaxy away right now?

Anonymous said...

I'm addicted to your blog Dave! I love that your descriptions of your pics read like a damn textbook...it makes me laugh in the mornings. I still can't believe they don't sell snowglobes!

Anonymous said...

Dave and Friends,
Thank you for your interested in 'Corn in cup.'

At Nelson’s we are first Company in the World to introduce the concept of ‘Corn in Cup’.

With our success in setting up profitable retail stores in Malaysia we ventured into franchising our successful concept in snack food business to entrepreneurs who wish to set up its own chain of snack food business.

Contact Info
Malaysia HQ:

NELSON'S FRANCHISE (M) SDN BHD (352289-K)
(formerly known as KTT Product Corporation Sdn Bhd)
7, Jalan Penyelenggara, UI/77,
Taman Perindustrian Batu Tiga,
40150 Shah Alam, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.

Tel: +603 5512 8228
Fax: +603 5512 6133
Email: franchise@nelsons.com.my
Website: www.mrcorn.net

Anonymous said...

Dave, Looks like you are having a blast & I am enjoying the pic's!! Do you think we could talk your Dad changing his place into the Ice Bar?
Diane

André said...

What a great way to share your trip with us! I had no idea you were heading to such an exotic place. What an experience. I believe you havw trumped everyonbe with this one. Way "cooler" than my trip to Iceland in 1987.... especially with the video of the ice bar. Keep 'em coming.

Anonymous said...

I just logged on and am enjoying catching up looks like you are having a great time and a few mis-steps along the way make for great storytelling...pictures are awesome!!!! Terry

SuziTurc said...

Speaking of Umbriac's bar...maybe we can search blogs for foreigners traveling to the US...and including Hazleton on their trip. Then we can post invitations to Umbriac's Bar!!
Seriously...since there is so much business in Dubai, are there tons of Westerners there? You mentioned some Australians...what other countries are you seeing represented by tourists?

Dave said...

Hi Guys!

OH MY GOD. If you haven't seen the third comment to this post, check it out. I cannot believe the Malaysian headquarters of "corn in a cup" read my blog. Surreal!
Seriously, let's pool our money and open a stand....
Suzi- to answer your question, it seems like most of the people who live here are from India. Only something like 20 percent of the population is actually from Dubai originally. I've met more tourists from Australia than anywhere else. Haven't met many Americans. A lot of Brits too.
And as far as Umbriac's Bar becoming an ice bar, my dad would probably be up to the idea in the winter, so he wouldn't have to heat the place.

Thanks for all of the comments.. keep posting!

erika said...

I just logged on and got all caught up! I have to agree with Kasi, I find Dave to be fascinating right now! Can't believe I just said that. My upcoming trip to Ireland seems lame compared to this.

Anonymous said...

Dave I'm a little upset about your poll. You noted Geiger and the TV, Chris and the house, and Fannings with the PS3 but you didn't say anything about Kyo and the car. I put in for the car, I hope that got to you. Oh, by the way great blog, I can't believe you didn't belly dance.